[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Mon Jul 27 22:37:31 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sun, July 26, 2009 1:09 pm, Dale Pontius wrote:
>> My problem is that I get too much overscan on S-Video and component
>> video, and would love to be able to cut it back.  Right now I see that
>> the latest driver Gentoo has in portage is 185.18.14.  I'm unpacking it
>> now to take a look at the changelog - maybe just a wait for 190.18 will
>> fix this...
>
> Have you tried the "nvtv" utility?  I had the opposite problem on my card
> -- too little overscan, leaving crooked, ugly borders -- and used nvtv to
> increase it to compensate.  I had the most luck running it from the
> command line, since in GUI mode it tends to switch to PAL output and screw
> everything up.  I'm using:
>
>   nvtv -t -r 800,600 -s Large -S NTSC
>
> The overscan stuff is controlled by the -s command; options for my card
> are something like Tiny, Medium, Large, and Huge.  Make sure you include
> "-S NTSC" or it will probably go into PAL mode and give you an unusable
> picture.  "-t" turns on the TV output (redundant, but it ensures the
> command doesn't switch it off) and "-r 800,600" sets the resolution.
>
> My card is ancient, though -- it's a GeForce 2 MX400 -- so it's possible
> the newer cards need a different tool.

The current tool is "nvidia-settings", and it's been pretty well proven
to not work for 8xxx+ cards.  However, as mentioned before, the system
I'm using now has an nVidia 6200, and last night I looked with a mirror,
and it has an S-Video connector.  So I dug out the manual, and sure
enough, it has TV-Out.  One of these days I'm going to swap.

Plus I was looking at NewEgg today, and found a PCI_Express X16 card
with S-Video - but Radeon based, for about $30.  I guess that's Plan C.
 My laptop had a Radeon, and I had good TV-Out results with it.

Dale Pontius