[mythtv-users] Best PCI HD capture card?

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Mon Jul 27 22:34:09 UTC 2009

faginbagin wrote:
> FWIW, I have a PVR-150, an HD-5500 and an HVR-1600 and I'm running
> mythtv 0.21-fixes under mythbuntu.

I'm have a HVR-1250, an HVR-1600, and an HVR-1800 all in the same box
running 0.21-fixes under ubuntu (not mythbuntu).

> I haven't done much HD recording with the HD-5500, but I've found HD
> recordings with the HVR-1600 to be next to useless. It may be a
> problem with the cable coming into the box, but I suspect that, since
> the HVR-1600 analog recordings are quite good, part of the problem is
> due to the fact that the HVR-1600 is a PCI card and is more
> vulnerable to noise than an external tuner, like the HDHR.

Your problem is entirely within that box, or the run to it.  I record OTA HD
exclusively, and there isn't a darn iota of difference between what the
HVR-1600 and the 1250/1800 bring down when all are connected to *the same*
box running *the same* software recording *the same* source.

(...Which kind of makes sense, seeing as how the 1250 and the 1600 both load
the same driver, cx18, while the 1800 loads the cx23885 driver.)