[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Jul 26 21:52:19 UTC 2009

Tortise wrote:
> [...]

SDTV with svideo, composite, and component video inputs.  I'm trying to
use the component video.  The Mythbox has PCI-Express, and I don't have
any other PCI-Express (or straight PCI) with TV-Out.  Can you recommend
something, say under $50?

Incidentally, and I mentioned this elsewhere, the 8400GS makes a
framebuffer so I can watch the system boot, and the framebuffer sizing
and position is perfect.  I don't even get perfect framebuffer/text mode
sizing and position on all of my straight VGA connections to monitors,
but I do with 8400GS-to-TV.  Then X starts, and the excessive overscan
kicks in.  So the hardware can do it, which is also why I'm blaming the
drivers.

In 2 more years when college graduations start and the nest starts
emptying, the first kid to leave gets a Sony CRT TV, and we get a new
flat panel.  Then hopefully all of this will be a thing of the past.
Now to get there, but financially and Myth-wise.

Dale Pontius