[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Jul 26 20:09:21 UTC 2009

Paul Bender wrote:
> Dale Pontius wrote:
>> Sorry, still don't buy it.  We need only 3 data points at the moment.
>> Barely mentioning various other appliances that also display correctly
>> through this TV.
>>
>> 1: IBM R50 ThinkPad with Radeon Mobility (using "radeon" driver)
>>   DISPLAYS CORRECTLY
>> 2: Daughter's boyfriend's Mac Laptop (details unknown)
>>   DISPLAYS CORRECTLY
>> 3: nVidia 8400GS
>>   DISPLAYS WRONG
>
> I am late to this thread, so forgive if this has already been answered.
>
> What NVIDIA driver version are you using?
>
> I ask because I noticed that the 190.18 driver does not do overscan on
> the S-Video output (at least not in the same way as the 185 and earlier
> drivers). As a result, I cannot use the 190.18 driver when connecting to
> my television using S-Video. However, overscan on HDMI appears to be fine.

I'm running 180.60 at the moment, though I observed the same thing with
the 173.xx series, as well.  I tried going back because someone
mentioned that setting overscan worked with the older drivers.
Apparently it's really an issue with 8xxx+ cards, as much as drivers.

My problem is that I get too much overscan on S-Video and component
video, and would love to be able to cut it back.  Right now I see that
the latest driver Gentoo has in portage is 185.18.14.  I'm unpacking it
now to take a look at the changelog - maybe just a wait for 190.18 will
fix this...

Dale Pontius