[mythtv-users] question/set top box

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 25 15:51:45 UTC 2009

On 07/25/2009 11:44 AM, Srinivas Gowrisanker wrote:
> THanks for the reply. Just to be clear that I understand this
> correctly...
>
> 1. Wall to stb to pvr150
> 2. have stb on ch 3

No.  Instead of using an RF modulated ("coax" cable with F-connector)
output from the STB, use (in order of preference) S-Video or Composite
output.  If you do, the tuner of the PVR-150 is never used (so no need
to set channel)--and, besides, I've heard rumors that the "Preset tuner
to channel" setting doesn't work (and you need that setting to use RF
modulated output that goes through the PVR-150's tuner to preset the
channel to channel 3).  I've never looked into it because I don't have
any RF modulated sources.

It is /critical/ that you do /not/ specify a value for "Preset tuner to
channel" if using S-Video/Composite.

> 3. get IR blaster. connect IR blaster to STB or to PVR150? I have a
> remote that came with PVR150. Should I use that? I also have a USB IR
> blaster that I can use. Now will this usb IR blaster go on stb or the
> computer?

The computer controls the IR blaster, which sends an IR signal to the STB.

If you truly have an IR blaster, you can put it anywhere with a direct
line of sight to the STB.

If you have an IR transmitter that is /not/ an IR blaster***, you may
need to affix the LED to the STB's IR receiver (or very close to it).

***All IR blasters are IR transmitters, but not all IR transmitters are
IR blasters.  An IR blaster "blasts" a strong IR signal--strong enough
to cover long distances and, in many cases, to bounce of walls and
"find" the STB's IR receiver.  An IR transmitter may send a very weak
signal that requires the transmitter's LED to be affixed to (or within
inches of) the STB's IR receiver.

> 4. I deleted everything and restarting. Right now I have set it with
> schedules direct (wall/stb/pvr150 and stb is on ch3) and doing a
> mythfilldatabase.
>
> Will keep post back as to how it goes.

Again, you really don't want to use RF modulated output/"Preset tuner to
channel" (channel 3)--as it probably doesn't work, but even if it does,
the quality will be /significantly/ worse than if you use S-Video.

Mike