[mythtv-users] Best PCI HD capture card?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:46:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Arthur H. Hamm
Jr.<badnewseveryone at izzy.net> wrote:
>> What are the bad things about the 1600?
>>
>> I just bought a pair of them :-(
>
> The driver is stand alone and not part of the "ivtv" set. Hauppauge and
> Conexant have helped with the development of this driver for a single
> product. How long will Hauppauge keep making it? When will Hauppauge and
> Conexant stop caring about keeping the driver up to date?

No moreso than every other driver out there.  This driver was written
by the community, not the company.  The driver is open source and
maintained by the community.  Hauppauge doesn't decide when it stops
having support.

> Hauppauge has made several models with the same model number. This has
> caused me some confusion about the problem threads I have read about the
> 1600.

Not unlike most capture devices.

> The 1600 honors the "broadcast flag".

The broadcast flag was struck down, and no, it doesn't.

> Comments I consider unreliable say the picture quality is less than the
> HD-5500.

They are unreliable indeed, digital tuners have no say over picture quality.

Robert