[mythtv-users] Best PCI HD capture card?

Arthur H. Hamm Jr. badnewseveryone at izzy.net
Fri Jul 24 19:21:40 UTC 2009

> What do you mean by "raw output" on the HD-5500?

I currently have a pair of WinTV-PVR-250's so I am used to having my
recordings in MPEG compression. I understand the HD-5500 does not let
myth control the pixel size or the bit rate of the recording. I have
been told to expect HD recordings in the 15 GB per hour range. This uses
much more hard drive space, more hard drive bandwidth and more CPU to
play and record.

> HDHR isn't PCI, but since you brought it up, is there some other
> reason you are rejecting it?  The conclusion I draw from everything I
> read is that it is the favorite solution - it just works.  And of
> course, has the advantage of not chewing up a PCI slot, so you aren't
> tied to a motherboard in the future that has one.

Currently my DVR is connecting wirelessly and has been built to be
silent. I can add a switch and network the devices together. I can make
room in my entertainment center for another device with cooling and
noise reduction. And if it truly is the best choice I will do just that.
If the picture quality is better or on par with the other choices and it
has other benefits I would like to hear about them.

--
Arthur H. Hamm Jr.
BadNewsEveryone at izzy.net