[mythtv-users] Controlling DirecTV H23

bit maelstrom dsblakewatson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:07:39 UTC 2009

This will take a USB port on the Linux computer and make it an RS232 port so
> you can use a USB to serial adapter on the DirecTV side and use a DB9 to DB9
> null modem cable between the two USB adapters.

USB->Serial : DB9->DB9 : Serial->USB

So, I need two cables that are functionally the same, basically, except:

The USB-serial on the Linux side isn't too picky as Linux supports most
> adapters.  The USB-serial on the DirecTV is extremely picky and you have to
> use a pl2303 adapter (which have been discontinued, but you may still find
> some out there).

One side has to have a rare chip? Like this?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-to-RS232-COM-port-converter-PL2303-GPS-FTA-U232-P9_W0QQitemZ270311776647QQcmdZViewItem

> As for your next question; No, there is no direct USB to USB cable that can
> be used between the Linux and DirecTV boxes.

Yeah, I read that a lot. Kind of interesting. I guess they're not any more
interested in supporting a third party aftermarket than cable companies.