[mythtv-users] Big Plea For Help

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 13:19:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:21 AM, Mark Garland <mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> I’ve been battling now for the last 3mths to get my mythtv setup working,
> and whatever I try I still can’t see to get there.
>
> I’m don’t think it’s the myth software – it’s probably the underlying OS
> configuration, so any tips or suggestions are really welcome.
>
> My latest theory is to just wipe the HDD and try again, as I really have
> run out of things I know to try.
>
> I appreciate this is a long post, but any help would be gratefully
> received!
>

> My setup is a 5050e CPU, GA-MA78GM-S2H (780g video (radeon HD 3200), with
> realtek ALC889A sound), 4GB Ram, 2 DVB-T capture cards (1xNova-TD-500(dual
> tuner) and one Nova-t (single tuner)), and a single 7200rpm 1TB HDD.  The
> filesystem is ext3, with a xfs partition for the video files (apparently
> good for deleting large files and offering smooth data transfers).

Sad but true.  Anytime I hear someone using ATI for Myth I cringe.  Buy just
about any Nvidia card (8000 or 9000 series if you can for the best hardware
acceleration support) and you'll wonder why you ever tried ATI.  I recall
with terror my many nights trying to wrestle my ATI chipset into
submission.  Dropped an Nvidia card in the same system and it worked
straight out.  At the very least, you'll save yourself some nights and know
that any problems you have after that are not video related.

Kevin