[mythtv-users] OT: FFMPEG conversion

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Thu Jul 23 23:06:04 UTC 2009

James Oltman wrote:
> ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/GAIN*.wmv -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -vtag MP43 -acodec
> libmp3lame -threads 2 GAIN.avi
>
> This gave me an error:
>
> "Error while opening encoder for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect
> parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height"

I get a similar error when I try to transcode a .mod file to mpeg4 avi

[mpeg4 @ 0x2190180]timebase not supported by mpeg 4 standard
Error while opening codec for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect
parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

The command I found to do it from the internet was:

ffmpeg -vcodec mpeg4 -s 720x576 -b 9600k -aspect 16:9 -acodec mp3 -ab
192k -ar 48000 -i Playing.MOD Playing.avi

I think I know what most of it means, but I don't know why it won't
encode it for me.  Can anyone help?

Brent