[mythtv-users] HDMI audio

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Thu Jul 23 21:50:01 UTC 2009

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:47:59 -0400
> From: Zach<uid000 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] nvidia 8200 IGP + VDPAU no luck
> To: Discussion about mythtv<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>Phil,
>
> I'll give give 190.x a try.  I changed my cpu scaling to performance
> which cleared things right up.  However I am getting the tearing, so
> maybe the newer drivers will help that.
>
> I'm also curious about your audio over HDMI, which I'll ask about in a
> separate thread.
>
> Thanks

Zach,

Thought I'd save you the trouble of starting a new thread to ask me
about HDMI audio.

Believe it or not, I'm using ALSA to PulseAudio 0.9.15.   I've also
tried the MythTV patch for PulseAudio (5473).   (I did at one point
sideline Pulse and use ALSA native, but I couldn't use my Bluetooth
headset properly that way.)  I figure Myth has to support Pulse properly
at some point, given that it's so integral to newer distributions.

Pulse let's me redirect the output to HDMI or analogue.... and I can
even play it in stereo over my Bluetooth headphones.

However, it's not perfect.  With ALSA->Pulse, when I fast forward, I
have about a 1-in-3 chance of not having any audio... so I might have to
forward a little further on, or back up a bit until I get it again.
Annoying, but I live with it in the hopes that someone will fix it one
day  ;-)  Not sure it would be acceptable to my wife, but I haven't put
my system into production yet.

PuleAudio direct I always loose sound after a fast/forward, pause,
volume change, etc.... and there's no way to get it back short of
starting the recording over again.   It looks like 5473 is seeing some
attention, so I'm hopeful it will be the final solution.