[mythtv-users] I used dvdbackup -M to copy DVDs to drive. Now what?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 21:08:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:51 PM, H P Ladds<householdwords at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used dvdbackup to copy the content of my DVDs to my hard drive.
>
> I can play individual chapter titles with Xine or Mplayer, but neither
> player will move on to the next chapter title, and I can not play an
> entire DVD from the hard drive.
>
> I used "dvdbackup -M -i /dev/dvd  -o /file_for_storage" to copy the DVDs.
>
> Any suggestion? I would like to play these videos with MythTV, and
> having them play with Xine or Mplayer seems to be a good first step.
>
> Thanks.
> hpladds

In the mythvideo setting where you configure player settings for file
types, that's what the VIDEO_TS setting is for.  In the example you
mention, the directory file_for_storage created by dvdbackup will
contain a sub-directory named VIDEO_TS.  Based on that, mythtv will
treat the directory file_for_storage as VIDEO_TS and will play it
based on the command you configure (or the internal player if you
choose that).  To play it with xine from mythvideo, you can use this
command setting:

xine -pfhq dvd:/%s

...in the above example, that ends up doing:

xine -dfhq dvd://full/path/to/file_for_storage

I actually have mine set to use the command:

xine --post tvtime -pfhq dvd:/%s

...and have this in the ~/.xine/config for my mythtv user:

gui.post_plugins.deinterlace:tvtime:method=GreedyH

...in order to get nice tvtime deinterlacing of DVDs.

Tom