[mythtv-users] OT: followup to cable TV moving broadcast channel to digital tier (long)

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:46:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:

> What happened is that Cox recently moved the Iowa Public TV
> channel into the digital tier (channel 113).  This is a problem because
> my mother lives in Council Bluffs, and likes some programming
> carried in the Iowa Public TV channel that is not carried by the
> Nebraska Public TV channel.  She gets Cox basic cable, and does
> not subscribe to Cox's digital cable service.  As a result, she can
> no longer watch the Iowa Public TV channel.

Just as was stated in the previous thread, it is not illegal to move any
channel to the digital tier. However, if it is a "must-carry" channel, which
it likely is, they can't encrypt it. I don't know if you'll be able to get a
free converter box from them, but you can use a QAM digital tuner card to
receive the channel in MythTV.

Now, if they are encrypting it and the channel is "must-carry" then they are
doing so illegally. However, I doubt that is the case. This is merely an
instance of an inconvenience for you the customer, but not any wrong-doing
on the part of the cable company.