[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios, any success stories?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jul 23 05:41:04 UTC 2009

Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> says:
> - There are NO analog channels at all anymore on my FiOS feed

This is good to hear. My cable company is typical in broadcasting most
<100 channels in analog, and their quality (or lack thereof) is
obvious. Like you it's HD all the way for me, except that Turner
Classic Movies is one of the analog channels; hopefully my cable
company will soon carry the new TCM HD.

> - The secondary route for recording HDTV content that isn't clear QAM
> is over the FireWire port on my cable box. I get a pretty decent
> number of channels off that w/o any 5c encryption.

So your FiOS settop boxes' FireWire ports, like mine, carry all your
channels? Including the premium-movie ones? This is good to hear, and
certainly not the norm for Verizon FiOS customers.

> - The tertiary route for recording HDTV content is the HD PVR, hooked
> up to the same cable box as the FireWire cable. There's rarely
> anything for it to record.

In your setup, I don't see how the HD PVRs would be used at all. That
said, unless there's a good reason not to I intend to use HD PVRs once
0.22 hits for the smaller file sizes compared to the 7.5GB/hour for
the raw MPEG2 feed over FireWire. (I also have one over-the-air and
one cable-only channel that are not available via FireWire, so access
to them would be a small bonus, too.)

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array