[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 23 01:02:47 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 17:39:21 sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:

> Depends what you consider slow... I had a P4 3.4 GHZ that only just handled
> HDTV with Greedy High Motion de-interlacing.. Yet I have replaced it with a
> 2nd hand opteron 146 (at 2 GHZ standard)... and if I don't have VDPAU
> running then it can still handle Greedy High Motion with just a bit of
> stutter when the station is switched to..

Probably because the Opteron has a 1MB cache, which the P4 probably didn't.
I'm not sure how influential cache size is for HD playback, but from what you
say it sounds like it's significant.

I think the Opteron 146 is a socket 939, you should be able to use an Athlon
series chip, or even an FX60, if you can find one.

But if you moved from a P4 to an Opteron you changed motherboards, so you
can't be sure you are comparing only the CPUs.

The fact that the CPU is second hand should hopefully be irrelevant, they
pretty much either work or they don't :-)

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org