[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios, any success stories?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 22 21:33:50 UTC 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Jeff wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
> wrote:
> - The secondary route for recording HDTV content that isn't clear
> QAM is over the FireWire port on my cable box. I get a pretty decent
> number of channels off that w/o any 5c encryption.
>
> Ooh, good to know...  ;-)  I may take the plunge soon then... I
> didn't realize there was anything more than just the locals coming
> over the firewire link without 5C encryption.

A quick glance at mythweb for my firewire sourceid says I get SciFi
(or whatever the eff they're calling it now), Discovery, National
Geographic, History, CNN, TBS, Universal HD, HDNet, CSN NE, CNBC, The
Weather Channel, the Science Channel, Smithsonian, Animal Planet, HD
Theater, The Learning Channel, Lifetime, Food Network, HGTV, A&E,
Bravo and the Home Shopping Network HD feeds off FireWire without
encryption.

Oh, and there was a free weekend of HBO and Showtime a few months
back, and all HBO and Showtime variants came off the box without
encryption too.

The list of things that need to go through the HD PVR is mainly ESPN
(all variants), NESN, USA and TNT (again, all HD).

> (We're in the same area... ;-)  I'm ~25 miles West of Boston.)

And so far as I can tell, Verizon pumps out pretty much the same thing
all over MA, as evidenced by there being only one channel lineup at
schedulesdirect.org for anywhere in MA, tagged as coming out of
Burlington, which I believe is where their primary hub or whatever is
for MA... So a good chance you'll get the same stuff I do off the
FireWire port.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com