[mythtv-users] OT: FFMPEG conversion

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 19:29:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:

> James Oltman wrote:
>
>> I had to compile a version of FFMPEG for my uses.  The WMV i have used
>> WMA9Pro codec.  I had to patch SVN with a patch for WMA9Pro decoding.  So is
>> mencoder an option at this point?
>>

> That I wouldn't be able to answer, I'd guess it'd be a try and see.  What
> distro are you running on?
>

> Doug

Ubuntu 9.04 x64.  I actually just found the answer to my question.  The
video looks pretty bad, but I think I can increase the bitrate to make it
look better.  Here was my final try:

ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/GAIN.wmv -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -b 1000k -bt 175k -acodec
libmp3lame -ar 44100 GAIN-1000k.avi

I had to remove the -vtag option because the video turned out to be pink on
WMP.  I had to add the -ar 44100 because ffmpeg was complaining about
audio.  I didn't know about the -ar, had to ask #ffmpeg.  They're tired of
me by now!

Jim