[mythtv-users] 8 Port SATA PCIx card

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 07:54:47 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/7/20 Krzysztof Adamski <k at adamski.org>:
> With six SATA ports on the motherboard, I need extra 14 ports. The
> SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 card would be a good fit (times 2), but it does
> not look like it works well with open source drivers (I use Debian).
> As an alternative I'm looking at Areca ARC-1300IX-16
>
> http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37131&vpn=ARC-1300ix-16&manufacture=Areca
>
> but it is double the price.

Being in a similar situation as yours, I looked around and found the
RocketRaid 2320 cards .. It's almost the same price as your SATA only
card , and seems well supported (drivers for Windows, MacOS, Linux,
FreeBSD ...)..

Now, as I aim to use software RAID (using ZFS-X) , I wonder what's
going to give me better performance: 2x 4 ports SATA cards, or 1 x 8
ports SATA. Sure, on paper it is the same, but I was wondering how
well those cards handle parallel access ...