[mythtv-users] Question/Recommendation: Amplifier w/SPDIF w/RS232?

mythtv at derdev.com mythtv at derdev.com
Mon Jul 20 20:20:00 UTC 2009

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 6:51 AM, <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>> I'm planning my first installation of a standlone front-end (away from
>> my
>> Hybrid).  TV and stereo receiver are gonna get replaced, so this is much
>> request for recommended hardware as it is how to control it...
>>
>> I'm comfortable with using an RS232 from the Frontend to the LCD HDTV to
>> tell it to power on, etc.
>>
>> I'm having some trouble with SPDIF and it not controlling volume on an
>> amplifier. ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/SPDIF )
>>
>> If SPDIF (and VPDAU) support is the right way to build a new solution,
>> I'm
>> a little lost on how the receiver gets controlled via the frontend.
>>

> It doesn't. the whole point of digital audio is to NOT have your
> computer resample it. Thats what your amp's volume button is for.

I've asked my question badly... let me reformulate before the flogging
line gets too deep:

I want to control the amp's "volume knob" via the same remote for
controlling the frontend: what's the "best" way to integrate the remote,
the receiver, and mythfrontend (and its hardware)?

Since SPDIF doesn't control volume, I see only two options.
a) Program the remote to issue "volume" commands directly to the Amp's IR
receiver for VolumeUP and VolumeDN using the Receiver's IR codes (e.g. use
"learning" on a universal remote)
or
b) Control volume via LIRC and RS232 hookup to the receiver/amp.

Did I ask a better question?