[mythtv-users] 8 Port SATA PCIx card

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Mon Jul 20 18:08:01 UTC 2009

>Albert Graham wrote:
>> I agree, the 9550 has its problems and is really slow compared with the
>> 9650 - which is a complete re-design.
>
>Yup.  Although when used with 150 MB/s drives it's a very reliable card,and
>when equipped with a battery backup unit (so you can use the write cache)
>it gives acceptable RAID 5 performance, better than a lot of modern
>consumer-grade RAID devices.  It'll be left behind by any modern
>enterprise-grade RAID card, though, and on a decent machine software RAID 5
>may well be faster.

Did you check the drives on the compatability list. As an integrator We used
to sell a lot of these cards, without issues with 3GB clip not in place. It
can make a real difference to the speed of the card. Also it can make a lot
of difference the firmware on the disks (not the card).
Regards,
Gareth