[mythtv-users] 8 Port SATA PCIx card

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jul 20 00:39:07 UTC 2009

Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
> Gareth Glaccum wrote:
>> The 3ware is really worth the extra price. You will have a GOOD
>> gui/webpage to administer the raid array, rather than needing to do it
>> from within the OS.
>
> Webpage? How does this card connect to the network without the OS? Does
> it have its own ethernet port?

The 3ware cards use a daemon called 3dm2 to do this.  So technically
it's not "outside the OS," but it does mean you don't have to use the
command line if you don't want to.  Personally I prefer the tw_cli
command line utility.

For real "outside the OS" RAID management you can use the 3ware BIOS by
hitting Alt-3 during boot, but that's rarely necessary except for
initial setup of a bootable array.

Having used both, I can only see two clear advantages to a hardware RAID
card over software RAID, assuming CPU usage and bus bandwidth are not
limitations:

- The 3ware hardware RAID cards fully support hot swapping failed
drives.  My personal experience is that this does not work with normal
SATA cards under Linux.

- Booting from a hardware RAID is much easier to set up, and you don't
have to wonder if GRUB and the system BIOS will do the right thing if
the primary drive in a mirror fails.

Neither of these are huge advantages for home use, since most home users
would just shut the system down to swap out a failed drive.