[mythtv-users] 8 Port SATA PCIx card

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Sun Jul 19 03:27:12 UTC 2009

On 07/19/2009 04:16 AM, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
> I'm looking at making a NAS, so I was looking at motherboards that have
> PCI-X slots to use the SuperMicro 8 port SATA card AOC-SAT2-MV8
>
> After spending few hours try to narrow down a suitable motherboard, I
> found this SuperMicro card: AOC-SASLP-MV8
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SASLP-MV8.cfm
>
> This will make looking for a motherboard easier.
>
> Has anybody used this card in Linux without problems?

Have a look at this, 3ware card (it comes in many sizes)

http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9650.asp

The card you specify is limited to 300MB per port (600M) limit, with
modern drives this will be a serverly limiting factor.

I have the 12 port version of this card and can read at 750MB/s and
write at > 600M (using raid5 array with 8x1G drives).

This is a PCIe card so you will need that class of motherboard.

Drivers for this card are already (and have been for many years) in the
kernel and are well maintained.

Albert.