[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 18 21:29:02 UTC 2009

On Saturday 18 July 2009 14:47:49 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Ben Eisemann wrote:
> > I believe he mentioned a cross-over cable to connect DIRECTLY from the
> > front end to the back end without going through his network hardware.
>
> Yes, I know.  But I was remembering wrong, it's 1000baseT that has
> auto-crossover as part of the standard, not 100baseT.  You can direct
> connect most 1000baseT cards with a straight cable but you're right that
> a crossover is still needed for 100baseT.

While all 1000bT interfaces have auto detection of the "polarity" (for want of
a better word), many 100-base-T interfaces do have this feature. Most Apple
hardware made in the last 5 years has this ability on all 100-base-T
interfaces.

This can cause problems, it takes a finite amount of time for the interface to
detect and select the proper configuration. This can cause problems with
certain devices that have only a brief window of time to do something at boot
(the NSLU2s and getting into RedBoot is an example, it can't be done with
Apple hardware because of that delay).

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org