[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 18 03:46:40 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009 21:13:05 Harry Devine wrote:

> I was able to find an updated BIOS for the card, but my only Windows
> machine doesn't have a PCIe x1 interface in it, so I can't update it.

I'm not sure, I've never tried it, but I think you can put an x1 card into an
x4, x8 or x16 slot, if your machine has a spare one of those.

> At this point, I'm thinking I should just order a new MB.  I really
> don't want to but I don't have much of a choice.  My last resort is to
> take the card into work and see if there's a Windows PC there that I can
> install the card into and update it that way.

I'd think another option would be to find a different SATA card that
cooperates better with your mobo's BIOS would do it, as would installing the
firmware that allows it ro run as JBOD. Certainly both those options are
cheaper.

> I'm just really tired of messing with it at this point.  My current
> system has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ CPU in it, and 2G of OCZ 240-pin
> DDR2 667 RAM.  I found this board on NewEgg:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131381.  Looks
> like it should work.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I want to be able to
> pull my my existing CPU/Fan, Memory, and Hard Drives from the current MB
> and transfer them to the new one.

I can certainly sympathize with your sentiment, and replacing the board is a
good technical solution. Whenever I do something like that I eventually wind
up buying the parts to make the old board run anyway.

> Would Mythbuntu have any issues with this since the MB would be a
> different one that what I originally installed with?  Will I have to
> reinstall anyway?  No big deal if I do since I now can access the drives
> by putting them into another machine and can grab whatever files I need
> (dump the Myth DB, Xorg.conf, etc.).

In general in should work, but there are potential gotchas, so back things up
first. Drive locations might change, and any special drivers the new board
needs would have to be accomodated, sometimes you just never know.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org