[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Jul 17 03:46:13 UTC 2009

On 16-Jul-09, at 5:20 PM, Harry Devine wrote:

> I mount the sda1 partition since I know that's where my /boot
> partition is.  I can see the files, so I'm not really sure why the
> system can't boot from the drive.  I know that in my MB, there were
> options for the Onboard SATA controller, but I disabled it since I
> figured that would interfere with the new card.
> Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to get the OS to
> boot from the drive on this new card?

I wonder if the drives are being discovered in a different order when
you boot from the controller vs a live cd. I had something like this
when I installed a sata controller in a ata motherboard -- every so
often my data drive would come up as sda1 and I'd get that same insert
system drive business.

I solved it by changing fstab to mount root using uuid syntax similar
to what's described here http://thelinuxcauldron.wordpress.com/category/hard-drive/
  and then (if I recall correctly) rebuilding the init image and
reinitializing the boot block.

That might not be it but it's easy enough to try.

- George