[mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

Marc Tousignant drayson at net1plus.com
Wed Jul 15 21:07:29 UTC 2009

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Allen Edwards
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:00 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

I'll get more info for you later tonight.

I will post after getting that.

Allen

Ok, I'm home for lunch break, gotta love living a mile from work.

OK in the BIOS for the IONITX, all revs.

In Chipset > Southbridge Configuration there is an item for AZALIA AUDIO.

The options are Disabled, Internal codec + External codec, Internal codec,
and External codec

Default option is Internal codec + External codec.

According to the BIOS info, 'Internal codec' is NVIDIA HDMI audio
controller, while 'External codec' is ALC885

According to Phill, HDMI does not work in Internal only mode and he had to
select Internal + External, further testing is needed.

Kernel modules that need to be compiled or build in are as follows

To enabled HDA

CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=y

For mini-jacks and spdif

CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y

For HDMI

CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_NVHDMI=y

Not sure, Phill had it on, I didn't question it.

CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC=y

aplay -l from a working system with both HDMI and spdif audio.

# aplay -l

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

aplay -L from a working system with both HDMI and spdif audio.

# aplay -L

front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog

    Front speakers

surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog

surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog

surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog

surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog

surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog

iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Digital

    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI

    HDMI Audio Output

null

lspci -vvv

00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev
b1)

        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device 437b

        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

        Latency: 0 (500ns min, 1250ns max)

        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21

        Region 0: Memory at fae78000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)

        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

Unfortunately whether you build one or both modules it lspci only tells you
HDA Intel

# cat /proc/asound/devices

  0: [ 0]   : control

  1:        : sequencer

 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback

 17: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback

 19: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback

 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture

 33:        : timer

If I recall correctly item 19 was missing before I activated the realtek
driver.

Anything else you want to know?

Marc