[mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

Marc Tousignant drayson at net1plus.com
Wed Jul 15 18:27:05 UTC 2009

Could one of you flesh this out so that I can make an addition to the wiki?
I don't really understand what is needed here.  Also, give me the relevant
model numbers.

Allen

Allen,

  Thanks for the great wiki article. I used it to set up my zotac board. My
specific modifications are at:
http://www.zoomthingie.com/wordpress/?p=161

Nothing exciting, really. Just had to make a couple of small changes.

I didn't take notes about the BIOS, but the BIOS has options for onboard
sound. Internal, External, Both (and maybe Neither/Disabled?). HDMI sound
requires _at least_ Internal, but I had to enable "Both".  It sounds like
spdif/analog require at least External.  If I had to guess, I'd imagine
"Internal" refers to the Nvidia HDA sound built onto the NV chipset, and
maybe "External" refers to a chip that's on the motherboard, but "external"
to the NV chipset. That's purely supposition though.

I'm not at home atm, so I can't be more specific. If you have specific
questions, I'm happy to give any info I've got.

--Phill

I'm not at home either at the moment and since  I don't have a case for it
yet, and I have a kitten, it is not in the entertainment center at the
moment but instead in a closet when I am not at home lol. I'll get more info
for you later tonight.

Like Phill said thou, I think it was under southbridge, I'll confirm later,
there was an option for internal and external, internal, external and
neither(possibly disabled). The factory setting for me was to have both
internal and external selected.

I asked Phill for his kernel config options and I used them. I did look them
over, but I didn't think anything of the selected options for audio cause it
was working for him.

The one change that I had to make to get spdif audio was to make sure the
config was set to "CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y"

After enabling this and rebuilding the kernel my aplay -L had an iec958 item
and using this as my asound.conf gave me audio through the spdif.

  pcm.!default {

     type plug

     slave.pcm "iec958"

  }

I get home after 8 eastern tonight but, if Phill hasen't gotten back to you
with the bios stuff etc, I will get you what you are asking for for the
wiki.

I am using the IONITX-C-U and Phill has the A-U version. Same thing
different processors. He has dual core I have single.

The next step for my setup is to narrow down the nfs permissions issue I am
having and then work on configuring suspend to ram and wake on my remote.

My first diskless frontend, and I will echo what others are saying, You
can't tell the damn thing is on it is so silent.

Marc