[mythtv-users] incorrect resolution on .avi playback

duke mythtv at thesenters.com
Wed Jul 15 05:15:30 UTC 2009

I've attempted searching for this problem, but I may not have used the
proper search terms.  So I subscribed to this list today.  Forgive me if
this has been mentioned before or is listed elsewhere, and please point me
to where I should look.

Method: I ripped and encoded with acidrip a tv series DVD (The Big Bang
Theory season 1) that is widescreen format 16:9.  I attempted to get it as
clean of a rip as possible with very little compression and full ac3 (2
channel is all that's available on the DVD) audio.

Problem: When I playback using mythvideo's internal player, the screen is
slightly squished with black bars on the side via my 16:9 TV.  The video
appears compressed into that screen as well; the characters look taller and
thinner than they should.  I tried switching avi file association to use vlc
and get the same squished look with vlc.

If I exit mythtv and use vlc by itself, the video takes up the entire screen
and the characters look properly proportioned.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,
duke