[mythtv-users] Digital Audio - HDMI vs SPD/IF

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jul 14 17:35:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Doug Young<goofdad at gmail.com> wrote:
>  To elaborate, my
> Onkyo not only has multiple HDMI inputs and one output (for the TV),
> it also upscales video (better than my TV does) when video comes from
> a Composite source, and translates component sources to HDMI.

I have a similar receiver from Yamaha but in practice I'm not able to
use this feature.  For some reason my wife likes to watch with the
closed captioning turned on and the composite/svideo/component -> HDMI
transformation strips out the signal in the VBI which carries the
analog closed captioning data.

Eric