[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 21:53:04 UTC 2009

Hmm, looks like I managed to get my mail client to not send this earlier.

jedi wrote:

>...so it sound like the only people that really need to worry about
>this are the Myth coders and associated theme authors.

And anyone that cares about getting the best picture quality.

Decoding a DCT to one resolution and then resampling that to a
different one can't be better than decoding the original material to
the right resolution in the first place - well I'd have thought so
anyway.

As an aside, for some time I've been using an old Mac laptop with
broken display as a 'set top box' with EyeTV. I've had the option set
to underscan in the Mac output so as to be able to see the menubar
etc, and the result is that my TV viewing for some time has been
slightly under-scanned. I've never noticed any edge effects or
anything else to say that displaying the entire picture as broadcast
is a bad idea - that's with UK Freeview.

--
Simon Hobson