[mythtv-users] No sound via HDMI on my Yamaha RX-V465 A/V receiver

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:06:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Razorblade<Razorblade at kabelbw.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Yamaha RX-V465 A/V receiver connected to my TV via HDMI. The Yamaha
> does have a HDMI repeater for splitting up audio and video.
> When I connect my MythDora 10 box directly to the TV via HDMI there's video
> and sound. So my setup seems to be ok.
> But as soon as I connect my MythDora box to the A/V receiver via HDMI I do
> not get any sound towards the receiver. The receiver tells me that there's
> no audio input signal. But video is working fine then.
>
> mplayer -ao alsa:device=hdmi putsomemp3here runs fine without errors. But
> without any sound.
>
> Yamaha support says this might be a hardware related issue and I should
> apply the latest firmware for my HDMI equipment.
> It's not a hardware related issue because when I boot windows on this box, I
> have video and sound via HDMI to my Yamaha.
>
> It's an ASUS M3N78-VM with the latest NVIDIA drivers (185 I think) from the
> NVIDIA page.
> Kernel is: 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.x86_64
> I can not upgrade to the latest kernel because HDMI audio is not working
> then.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Bjoern

You didn't say what happens when you go from the myth box to the
Yamaha directly or if you did I missed it.  I just want to make sure
you are talking about the same setup in both myth and windows.

I had a similar problem with my spdif setup that was solved by
reversing the bits in the audio bits with this setting in asound.conf

pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave {
        pcm "hw:0,1"
        format S32_LE
     }
  }

Obviously yours would be different because your hdmi device is
unlikely to be "hw:0,1" but you might try adding the format line.
Without the format line, only one of my two decoders worked.

Allen