[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jul 13 10:04:05 UTC 2009

"The more I find out, the more I think we've been sold a pup here."

The more I looked at this the more I also came to this conclusion.  How many people paid good money to upgrade their TV's when they
weren't delivered what they should have been - and how many might then have not needed to upgrade?  Why should I pay to upgrade when
a perfectly good set with distinct advantages over LCD would do me much longer if it did what it was promoted to?

For the record CRT displays have a number of advanctages over LCD - better color depth, better blacks, better viewing angles, wider
refresh rate ranges, less reflection etc...  Shame the Manufacturers of HD CRT's did not always ensure the whole HD picture was
actually displayed, although they were quick to promote the HD specifications and not say there was any downscaling, overscanning
loss of definiton etc.  LCD's also have some positive points however a good HD CRT is just that, very good.  (Heavy and hard to
move - but what do you buy it for, to move around a lot - or to watch a quality image on?)

"On digital signals, why any need for overscan at all ?"

It has been observed in this thread that there can be "edge effects" and a small amount of overscan can correct this.  I agree with
that, one line at the edge, even one pixel wide, that is out of sync with the rest of the image is extremly distracting and
annoying.  Scaling the image to hide those annoying lines is a necessary evil - a volume like slider is all that is required to
scale the small required amount.  Thats all.  Certainly much less than 19% of a HD image needs to be hid.

Regarding the question of "I suspect the standard doesn't specify how many pixels the panel itself has"....

 I believe this is frankly incorrect, the standards are extremely precise, see my other posts of the moment detailing and clarifying
this.

"Why not produce a 1776x1000 panel for a 1080 set and avoid the rescaling altogether ? I guess I can answer that myself - our less
educated brothers (and sisters) would probably then refuse to buy it as not being "full 1080" :("

Well this in reality is a good description of what has occurred in a number of TV's, so despite your faith in your "brothers (and
sisters) would probably then refuse to buy" in fact they did buy as the distinction was not clear to them and they didn't know
better.  I do wonder if one major reason that overscanning has continued for so long is that if they took it away earlier that would
make the difference much more obvious - and people may well have started seeing they'd been duped and start complaining earlier...!