[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 9 17:47:18 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
>> I was able to get fsck to work from the LiveCD using sudo and didn't
>> have to go this route.  I'm going to try the power supply route first,
>> and maybe put the OS hard drive into another machine and see if I can
>> see it.
>>
>> The weird thing with my SATA issue is that when it boots and I get all
>> of those errors, I get dropped to a tty session and I'm prompted for my
>> login.  Nothing is accepted.  I've tried my user name with the correct
>> password, my user name with no password, root with the correct password,
>> and root with no password.  All fail with "incorrect login".  So I can't
>> even do any maintenance checks on the box right now.  It makes me think
>> that the HD is spanked since the OS has no clue that any users even exist.
>>

> IIRC I would get a "give root password for maintenance" message. Since there
> is no root password, this might be a problem. Perhaps a flaw in the Ubuntu
> way of doing things.
>
> I still think the PSU is the least likely of all the possibilities. I fear you
> will ultimately discover you have a bad motherboard. I'd still check the PSU
> though.

I agree that its not that likely, but I guess its possible now that I
examine the problem in my head.  I moved my 2 SATA drives to SATA 3 & 4
(from SATA 1 & 2) and I still have the same problem.  If the MB was bad,
or at least had issues, I'd think that moving to another port would take
care of it.  Unless, of course, all 4 ports suddenly went to crap.

I guess the MB could still be the problem, or the main HD went bad.
I'll try a few things tonight when I get home and see what I find out.
> Something I just thought of: If your mobo has "fake" RAID, that might be
> causing problems. Try going into the BIOS setup and disabling any RAID
> functions. I once saw a mobo that worked with Linux only if the fake RAID was
> enabled, not intuitive but it worked that way.

Harry