[mythtv-users] setting up to "Watch TV" on mixed analog, HD comcast cable

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jul 9 17:20:34 UTC 2009

> Q: How to "Watch TV" for both Analog and HD/Digital over Comcast cable
> when you have the PVR 500 and HDHOMERUN to view from??
>
> I kind of expected that "Watch TV" would have a sub-option that would say
> "There is more than one stream of TV content, which do you want?" (I had
> thought that would come from there being 4 tuners available!)

The end user isn't supposed to need to worry about this.  You pick a
channel to watch, and the backend then picks a tuner that supports
that channel.  If you're watching a stream on channel 12 on your PVR
500 and then switch to 148 which is only on your HDHR, then the
backend will automatically switch tuners.

You do need to have a separate video source for each tuner, with each
source only containing the appropriate channels for that tuner.

Eric Sharkey