[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 14:25:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Harry Devine wrote:

> I know this is off-topic, but I figured someone here would know.  My Myth MBE
> (Mythbuntu 8.10 x86_64) seems to be in a really bad state right now.  It was
> fine last night, but tonight I noticed that when I was SSH'd in, I was
> getting errors suddenly about the file system being read-only.  So I figured
> I'd reboot.  When I did, I got some messages about having to run fsck
> manually, and every service that tried to start would error out saying that
> the service user didn't exist (like "www-apache" for example).
>
> I was able to get the box to come up in rescue mode and I ran the fsck option
> that came up.  When I did, I started seeing errors like the following:
>
> ata1.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x6 SErr 0x90202 action 0x3 frozen
> ata1.00: irq_stat 0x01400000, PHY RDY changed

What make/model of drives are you using? Have you checked to see if there
are firmware updates available for your drives (especially if you're using
recent Seagate models)?

What make/model of controller?

What kernel version are you using? Recent kernels have had a lot of work
done on the SATA code. My understanding of that error message is that the
kernel believes the drive has been hot(un)plugged.

Are you using latching SATA cables?

Are you aware that internal SATA connectors are only designed for 50
insertions?  Is it possible that you're approaching the end of service life
for the connectors on your cables, discs or controller?

> Thanks,
> Harry

HTH,
Alex.