[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 9 13:15:27 UTC 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009 07:07:30 Harry Devine wrote:
> Matt Mossholder wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Glenn Harris
> > <gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
> > <mailto:gharris%2Blist%2Bmythtv at eklo.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     If you're going to be doing a lot of things as 'root', you can
> >     just use:
> >
> >     sudo su -
> >
> >     That will prompt you for your normal sudo password, and give you a
> >     full root shell.  Still no password for root, and all your commands
> >     still get logged.
> >     Everyone is happy.
> >
> >     Be careful still applies.
> >
> >     Good luck!
> >     --Glenn
> >

> > Ack! No!  :)
> >
> > This is the correct method to get a root shell using sudo:
> >
> > sudo -i
> >
> >      --Matt

> I was able to get fsck to work from the LiveCD using sudo and didn't
> have to go this route.  I'm going to try the power supply route first,
> and maybe put the OS hard drive into another machine and see if I can
> see it.
>
> The weird thing with my SATA issue is that when it boots and I get all
> of those errors, I get dropped to a tty session and I'm prompted for my
> login.  Nothing is accepted.  I've tried my user name with the correct
> password, my user name with no password, root with the correct password,
> and root with no password.  All fail with "incorrect login".  So I can't
> even do any maintenance checks on the box right now.  It makes me think
> that the HD is spanked since the OS has no clue that any users even exist.

IIRC I would get a "give root password for maintenance" message. Since there
is no root password, this might be a problem. Perhaps a flaw in the Ubuntu
way of doing things.

I still think the PSU is the least likely of all the possibilities. I fear you
will ultimately discover you have a bad motherboard. I'd still check the PSU
though.

Something I just thought of: If your mobo has "fake" RAID, that might be
causing problems. Try going into the BIOS setup and disabling any RAID
functions. I once saw a mobo that worked with Linux only if the fake RAID was
enabled, not intuitive but it worked that way.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org