[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Thu Jul 9 12:45:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Brian Wood<beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Harry Devine wrote:
> > I am booted off of the Mythbuntu 8.10 LiveCD right now, and
> > wanted to do a check on the hard drives.  It keeps telling me that
> > either I have to be root to do that or the device is busy.  How can I
> > run fsck in this case to check the drives?
>
> Ubuntu and its derivatives (like Mythbuntu) assume you are too stupid to be
> root. Not the way to make me happy with them.
[..snip..]
> Or try:
>
> sudo passwd root
>
> To give your system a true root password. Be careful.

If you're going to be doing a lot of things as 'root', you can just use:

sudo su -

That will prompt you for your normal sudo password, and give you a
full root shell.  Still no password for root, and all your commands
still get logged.
Everyone is happy.

Be careful still applies.

Good luck!