[mythtv-users] Failed HD-PVR recordings

Harley Peters harley at thepetersclan.net
Wed Jul 8 16:15:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:44:26 -0600
John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Steve Heistand<steve at heistand.org>
> wrote:
> > is it possibly heat related issues causing the failed recordings?
> > the hdpvr units themselves that is not being able to stay cool?
> > I do an average of 4-5 recordings a day and never have problems
> > other then the occasional log messages of:
> > 2009-07-07 23:31:05.217 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
> > 2009-07-07 23:31:05.225 [h264 @ 0xb70391d0]B picture before any
> > references, skipping 2009-07-07 23:31:05.234 [h264 @
> > 0xb70391d0]decode_slice_header error 2009-07-07 23:31:05.241 [h264
> > @ 0xb70391d0]no frame!
> >
> > on some recordings but they were recorded and playback fine.
>
> Those errors are normal.  They happen when it is trying to seek to a
> particular frame, and land on a non-keyframe in the process.
>
> I get the impression that you are running -fixes?  If so, you would
> probably have more luck running trunk -- or waiting a month for 0.22
> to be released.
>
> My failure rate for recording from my pair of HD-PVRs is probably
> around 1 out of every 500.  I recorded every Wimbledon tennis episode
> over the previous two weeks, and did not have a single problem.
>

> John

Using trunk won't fix the restarts. There caused by glitches in the
video or audio. Personally I think it has more to do with glitches in
the 5.1 audio rather than the video.
I had a lot less problems before 5.1 audio support was added.
It might help with the recordings not playing back. I am running trunk
and don't have any problems playing the recordings.
The problem isn't with Mythtv it's the firmware are the driver and are
crappy cable or satellite companies.