[mythtv-users] GL problem in Mythfrontend after Firefox/ BBC iPlayer crash

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Jul 8 14:04:01 UTC 2009

I've been playing with BBC iPlayer (which has worked) and the BBC
iPlayer Desktop, which hasn't worked for me although it is installed and
seems to run.  At present Firefox crashes at the end of the iPlayer home
page.  The BBC systems use Adobe Flash and Adobe AIR, and the content is
supposedly available only within the UK.

Apparently as a result of this, the main Mythfrontend menu is blank but
the menu choices still work and submenus are visible.  When the blank
menu page is visible the frontend log repeats indefinitely:

   QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current

Rebooting didn't resolve this.

Using another Mythbox as a guide I was able to step through the menus to
select Qt instead of Open GL. Reselecting OpenGL produced a usable
system again, but I'll probably use Qt until the other problems are
resolved.

Have other people had success with the BBC/Adobe systems on a 64-bit
system (mine is FC10 with Yeechang's modified 0.21 fixes), and, more
urgently, can anyone suggest a less cumbersome way of recovering from
the QGL 'invalid context'?  Changing the OpenGL Settings in the nVidia
utility didn't help.

TIA

John P