[mythtv-users] UK based system

barbex barbex at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 08:16:35 UTC 2009

We recently had a lot of talk about hardware big and small, here are
some links to the archive in no particular order:

> What I'm also not sure about is how much processing power I will need, I was
> thinking Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 socket AM2+ motherboard with AMD Phenom 9950
> Quad Core Socket AM2+ Processor with 8GB Ram.  But I quite honestly don't
> know if I'm over doing it, under doing it, or getting it about right.  The
> only thing that will run on this system with be the Myth backend.

For a Backend only? Way way over powered! It's the frontends that do
the processing work. The backend needs hardly any processing power, it
needs fast access to lots of diskspace. So you should probably look
more towards a fast chipset. Also recommended is one harddrive for the
system and database and another for the actual recordings.

As MythTV users tend to not change their systems for a long time, you
might not get much information about very recent hardware here. But I
think that any general Multimedia-PC basically works nowadays you just
have to verify the TV card.

Good luck!