[mythtv-users] LCD doesn't work after kernel update

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 7 01:33:58 UTC 2009

> On Monday 06 July 2009 10:10:19 Jay Foster wrote:
> >
> > > --- On Fri, 7/3/09, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net>

> update
> kernel update from
> anymore.
> directories
> > > for
> 2.6.27-14-generic to

> start during
> > > the
> Now, the LCD
> > > does
> LCDd
> > > restart" and
> However,
> the MythTV
> All of my
> intact.   dmesg and
> boot and why
> > > >
> > > The only error I can find is in the
> ~/.xsession-errors
> > > file:
> > >
> > > ** Message: Xkb extension found
> > > ** Message: another SSH agent is running at:
> > > /tmp/ssh-uinmTY6743/agent.6743
> > > Invalid argument: -session
> > > Valid options are:
> > > -p or --port number
>
> > >    A port number to listen on (default
> is
> > > 6545)
> > > -d or --daemon
>
> > >     Runs lcd server as a
> daemon
> > > -n or --nodaemon
>
> > >   Does not run lcd server as a
> daemon (default)
> > > -m or --startupmessage
> Message
> > > to show at startup
> > > -t or --messagetime
>
> > >    How long to show startup message
> (default
> > > 30 seconds)
> > > -l or --logfile filename
> Writes STDERR
> > > and STDOUT messages to filename
> > > -v or --verbose debug-level    Use '-v
> help' for
> > > level info
> > > -x or --debuglevel level
> Control how
> > > much debug messages to show
> > >

>    [number
> > > between 0 and 10] (default 0)
> > > Please note: additional command line arguments
> will not be
> > > passed
> > >   to mythfrontend when using
> --service
> > >
> > > This error comes from
> /usr/bin/mythlcdserver.  I
> > > suspect that the invalid command is comming from
> the xfce4
> > > session cache (~/.cache/sessions).  ps shows
> that
> > > /usr/bin/mythlcdserver is indeed running.  A
> Wireshark
> > > capture during mythfronted startup confirms that
> > > mythfrontend is connecting to mythlcdserver on
> port 6545 and
> > > chit chatting successfully.  It also
> confirms that
> > > noone attempts to connect to LCD_proc server on
> port
> > > 13666.  I can mannually run the lcd_proc
> [...]

dmesg shows that lirc_dev and lirc_imon are getting loaded just fine (and if I manually start LCDd, it works).  Yes, my LCDd is configured to start.  That was the first thing I checked.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1205 2009-06-02 09:08 /etc/init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 2009-07-06 18:05 /etc/rc0.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 2009-07-06 18:06 /etc/rc1.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc2.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc3.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc4.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc5.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 2009-07-06 18:05 /etc/rc6.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd

Yes, LCDd is configured to start BEFORE mythtv-backend.  My problem isn't that LCDd is starting at the wrong time, but that it isn't (apparently) starting at all on boot.  I can manually start it with no problems.

Jay