[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Mon Jul 6 21:18:47 UTC 2009

Phil Wild wrote:
> 2009/7/6 Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net>
>
>> Nick Rout wrote:
>>> xvidtune still exists
>> And my 8400GS refuses to allow xvidtune to tune anything.
>>
>> But the custom modeline things sounds interesting.  I've heard however
>> that when TV-out is in use, modelines are all ignored and only a small
>> set of modelines internal to the blob are used.
>>
>> Can anyone who actually owns an 8400GS (or other 8x00 card) give more
>> specifics?
>>

> I am a little confused here. Is this a general problem with all 8400GS
> cards. The reason I ask is that I don't see an issue with mine. When I first
> fired up my mythtv system on my Samsung 1080p panel, I noticed the overscan
> as the gnome menu was off the top of the screen. i simply went into the meny
> system of the tv and told it to "just scan". After doing that, I have the
> full 1920x1080 image presented on the panel with an assumed 1:1 pixel
> mapping.

You fixed yours at the TV end - and that's nVidia's answer.  There used
to be settings at the video card end, and those don't work, apparently
for 8x00 series cards.  In my case I have a plain old CRT TV, and
there's no adjusting for this.  Besides, it works correctly with other
consumer electronics.

Dale Pontius