[mythtv-users] Lircd starting too late?

Ben Lancaster mail at benlancaster.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 21:10:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been experiencing a few problems with LIRC starting too late from
cold boots (or after a hard reset), in that Xorg and Mythfrontend
start up before the lircd process so mythfrontend is unable to connect
to the lircd device. Restarting Mythfrontend fixes it, but it'd be
nice to figure out a permenant fix. The other symptom is that
mythlcdserver is unable to make use of the VFD in my case unless I
kill and restart mythlcdserver.

I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10 with Avenard's packages (didn't work with
the Mythbuntu debs either), and replaced XFCE with Ratpoison. The
remove uses the lirc_mceusb2, and the VFD uses the lirc_imon kmod.

Here's what Mythfrontend says:

mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
2009-07-06 20:03:05.923 lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding
messages

I can't see anything untoward in dmesg or messages, and chkconfig
shows that lirc should trigger when entering runlevel 2 through to 5:

# chkconfig --list | grep lirc
lirc                      0:off  1:off  2:on   3:on   4:on   5:on
6:off

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Ben