[mythtv-users] LCD doesn't work after kernel update

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 6 14:50:31 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 July 2009 10:10:19 Jay Foster wrote:

> [...]
> > > it starts up
> > > with the default LCDproc Serv message.  However,
> > > MythTV doesn't display
> > > anything on it anymore.  I've checked the MythTV
> > > configuration and the
> > > use LCD device is still configured.  All of my
> > > LCDd.conf files and
> > > startup scripts are intact.   dmesg and
> > > /var/log/messages doesn't show
> > > any clues.  Why won't the LCD start at boot and why
> > > won't MythTV use the
> > > LCD anymore?
> > >
> > The only error I can find is in the ~/.xsession-errors
> > file:
> >
> > ** Message: Xkb extension found
> > ** Message: another SSH agent is running at:
> > /tmp/ssh-uinmTY6743/agent.6743
> > Invalid argument: -session
> > Valid options are:
> > -p or --port number
> >    A port number to listen on (default is
> > 6545)
> > -d or --daemon
> >     Runs lcd server as a daemon
> > -n or --nodaemon
> >   Does not run lcd server as a daemon (default)
> > -m or --startupmessage        Message
> > to show at startup
> > -t or --messagetime
> >    How long to show startup message (default
> > 30 seconds)
> > -l or --logfile filename      Writes STDERR
> > and STDOUT messages to filename
> > -v or --verbose debug-level    Use '-v help' for
> > level info
> > -x or --debuglevel level      Control how
> > much debug messages to show
> >
> >               [number
> > between 0 and 10] (default 0)
> > Please note: additional command line arguments will not be
> > passed
> >   to mythfrontend when using --service
> >
> > This error comes from /usr/bin/mythlcdserver.  I
> > suspect that the invalid command is comming from the xfce4
> > session cache (~/.cache/sessions).  ps shows that
> > /usr/bin/mythlcdserver is indeed running.  A Wireshark
> > capture during mythfronted startup confirms that
> > mythfrontend is connecting to mythlcdserver on port 6545 and
> > chit chatting successfully.  It also confirms that
> > noone attempts to connect to LCD_proc server on port
> > 13666.  I can mannually run the lcd_proc client and it
> > connects to the LCD_proc server and displays the system
> > status on the LCD.  I kill that and the default
> > LCD_proc Server output is displayed on the LCD.  I no
> > longer get the system clock displayed or MythTV
> > output.  I think the problem is with Myth or
> > xfce4.  I'm in way over my head with this one.
> >
> I can report some success in resolving this.  I exited mythfrontend and then killed mythlcdserver.  I then restarted mythlcdserver and the system time again appeared on the LCD display.  I restarted mythfrontend and the MythTV information is again displayed on the LCD display.  My theory is that mythlcdserver only attempts to connect to LCDd (lcd_proc) when it starts, which this exercise seems to confirm.
>
> So why does LCDd no longer start at boot time?

No clue, but yeah, that would appear to be your primary problem. Is its
initscript actually set to run at boot time?

> I know that LCDd depends on /dev/lcd0.

Correct.

> I think /dev/lcd0 is created by lircd (lirc_dev, lirc_imon).  So lircd MUST start before LCDd or LCDd will fail.  I suspect that this is what is happening.  How do I make lircd start before LCDd?

Incorrect. /dev/lcd0 is created when the lirc_imon module loads, not
when lircd starts. lirc_imon should be loaded up after udev or whatever
pokes through your system devices looking for drivers to load up. lircd
starts after the module is loaded. LCDd isn't dependent on lircd having
started up already, its only dependent on lirc_imon having been loaded.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com