[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jul 6 11:44:55 UTC 2009

<Response>

More generally I've read the series of posts with great interest.  While there has been suggestion that NVIDIA be lobbied to provide
a fix, the problem does not actually come from NVIDIA and if NVIDIA fix it then that is nice of NVIDIA, however I'd rather NVIDIA
fixed some other things first, such as VDPAU...

The problem is actually the TV set manufacturers who have persisted in producing TV's to the old broadcast paradigm of overscan.  It
was not a safe assumption and simply overlooked foreseeable consumer needs.  As noted some sets are now (finally) being made with
this recognised and provided for.

I do not know for sure but I have a strong suspicion the fix is actually just a TV firmware issue, the more recent Sony TV's, as
Nick has observed, now incorporate a menu item to fix the issue, that is of Sony's making.  From my reading of a number of manuals I
note the option has only recently been introduced.  manufacturers will vary.  Some sets are cunningly designed to do it
automatically, refreshingly overdue.

I argue the TV manufacturers should provide firmware fixes for their overscanning TV's by simply adding the menu item that disables
overscanning.  This is the best place to fix it, at source where the issue is created.  All affected sets should be corrected.

Consumer pressure has to be brought to the TV manufacturers.

I suggest a good start is a web page somewhere listing TV's known to have overscan fixes provided (and what they are).   (?Would the
mythtv or perhaps Wikipedia be the most appropriate place?)

Similarly a listing of TV's known to not currently have a overscan / firmware fix.  I am proposing that increasing pressure not be
sent to NVIDIA, but instead to the TV manufacturers.

In New Zealand the TV must be fit for the purpose(s) intended.  I believe the manufacturers here have a duty to provide firmware
fixes (or whatever is required).  The interesting question for me is how far back should they reasonably fix the sets?  Of course
similar consumer obligations are likely to exist in other countries.

I've been studying this for some time now as I also enjoy the overscan problem.  While mythtv can fix it for mythtv it does not fix
it for the desktop.

If consumer / users lobby their retailers and higher up the chain some more appropriate and permanent fixes might come our way.

The question has been asked which NVIDIA cards have the problem e.g. the 8400 has been "named" in the subject.  As best I can tell
it is not a card model problem, they all share the same "problem" but not of their making.  Lets get the root of the problem fixed.

I look forward to hearing comments in response to the tortise's view of things.

</Response>