[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 02:12:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On 07/05/2009 08:58 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
>> <mailto:lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>        I have an 8400gs and have the EXACT same problem!
>>        NVIDIA-Settings for tvoverscan does NOTHING, and there are NO
>>        options in the gui tool for overscan as well...
>>
>>        I actually used the mythtv screen sizing stuff, but
>>        unfortunately it has a few bugs (which I need to post!)
>>

>>    I have the GeForce 8200 with the 177.80 driver and I too have
>>    overscan issues.  Any help would be appreciated....
>>

>> Run nvidia-settings and look around for an overscan option there.  If
>> that works, put that command in where it will run at startup like I
>> documented earlier in this thread.  I don't think these cards respond to
>> modlines.  At least I could not get mine to do anything except ignore a
>> custom modline.
>>

> If I'm thinking clearly, nVidia cards, when outputting via svid, composite,
> or component, take whatever resolution (and by extension, modeline) you feed
> it, and shove it through a tv output encoder chip that sanitizes it for the
> specific output type. The knob in nvidia-settings twiddles the tv out
> encoder.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

I have a 60" Pioneer Kuro 1080p display connected via HDMI from the HDMI-out
on an Asus board (geforce 8200 on-board video card).  To avoid any confusion
with an Onkyo AVR that sits in the middle of all this, I pulled the EDID
from the Pioneer panel and pointed my xorg.conf at that file.  The xorg log
confirms that a Pioneer display is connected (without this EDID file, xorg
always reported the Onkyo AVR as the connected device).

Anyway, my panel detects "1080p" when I monitor the Mythtv input.

I have obvious overscan, and wonder what my best option is to fix that.
Should I upgrade to the 185.18.14 nvidia driver? (I noticed atrpms has that
version now)  I have 177.80 now.  Figured this couldn;t hurt.

Larry