[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Jul 5 18:04:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 15:41 -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
>         Is there a way to use nvidia's normal overscan settings with
>         the 8400gs? Or if I adjust the screen size with mythtv screen
>         setup, how do I make it so the gnome panel isn't on top of
>         mythtv?
>
> The documentation is wrong and TVOverScan no longer works in xorg.conf

It isn't so much that the documentation is wrong, it's that none of
the newer cards support that feature. Instead you need to construct a
custom modeline via one of the various modeline tools out there.
This is the same procedure we all had to do for CRT's back in the
early 90's with XFree86, you can even blow up some old TV's just like
in the old days before computer monitors had safety circuitry added.

-- Daniel