[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Jul 5 02:50:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 12:15 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/02/2009 02:17 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >> What I wonder is why Myth isn't smart enough, if an input is in use, to
> >> check whether the same channel is available on another input instead of
> >> forcing the user to bail out.  This could be useful in other situations,
> >> too -- e.g., if the input fails to gain a lock, or if the channel change
> >> script fails, it'd be nice to have the recording "fail over" to another
> >> input.
> >>
> > That would probably be more optimal. As they say, "patches welcome!" ;)
>
> Oh, there is also an option (that I thought was trunk only, but turns
> out it's also in -fixes--thanks for mentioning it, Shane):
>
> Allow live TV to move scheduled shows
> If enabled, scheduled recordings will be moved to other cards (where
> possible), so that live TV will not be interrupted.

Heh, Shane wrote that code. The very same dev who is now working on
improving Live TV. This was something we came up with for multirec,
it is secretly always turned on for equivalent DVB recorders. But
the argument was successfully made that not all analog recorders
are of equivalent quality so we default to off for all non-multirec
recorders.

As to the lack of an order by when getting available recorders,
this is not necessary because the correct order is the DB order.
This is why you always need to create your recorder definitions in
the order you want them to be tie broken when a recording on each
input ends up with the same priority. A 'scheduler tie break order'
column could be added to order by, but no one has yet considered
this important enough to provide a patch. The UI would need patching
too, consider you need to allow re-ordering for all recorders on all
backends and no screen exists right now with that info.

-- Daniel