[mythtv-users] Failed HD-PVR recordings

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 4 20:11:35 UTC 2009

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2009, at 8:11 PM, Christopher Meredith wrote:
>
>> Do you have your STB set up to force 720p or 1080i all the time? The
>> hdpvr still doesn't like resolution changes and that can cause the
>> driver to crash sometimes.
>
> I thought this might be the problem, but I thought work was done to
> prevent crashes during resolution changes. Anyway, I can't set my
> STB's to output a particular resolution. I can set the max resolution,
> but it will output whatever it is sent (including changing resolutions
> mid-stream for commercials).
>
> If anyone knows a secret way to force a resolution out of a DHC-6416,
> it would be a place to start.
>
> This being said, I still don't think it's actually the cause of the
> problem since I can reboot everything and start with a bad recording
> without any resolution change.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

I have two HD-PVRs running of satellite set top boxes. I have found that
even bad signal will cause the driver and mythbackend to crash. Changing
channels even to the same resolution is enough glitch in the video sync
to cause problems. I have noticed mythtv seems to reset the HDPVR
instead of recording 0 byte files, but when the rain fade hits hard, a 1
hour show can turn into 36 minutes.
I havn't upgraded in a while, I am running 20668 on Fedora 11. It seems
to be pretty stable, although I have to watch that my logs don't fill up
with h264 errors.

I just put a 3 second sleep at the end of my channel change script so
that the video stabilizes before the HDPVR starts recording, I can now
change channels in livetv (even though I don't use it that often)
I am running the first beta firmware that gave 5.1 AC3, dmesg reports 0xf.

- Richard