[mythtv-users] All HDTVs accept sound input to RCA while using HDMI?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jul 4 16:27:13 UTC 2009

Chris Poole wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Before I splash out on some new HDTV, I want to check something.
>
> Do all HDTVs (LCD) that accept video from HDMI (from Macmini's DVI
> port) also accept sound at the same time (via RCA jacks)?
>
> Or is there a known problem with some models in that they don't know
> to get sound from RCA when they're expecting it from HDMI?
Yes and no.  All TVs should accept analog audio when using HDMI, however
some do not allow you to forcefully use analog audio.  On some cards, if
the display reports that it will accept audio, the card will report that
it is sending audio.  Check the following page for how to work around
this issue...
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Analog_Sound_DVI_to_HDMI